Blogging begins with the underlying platform that supports your content. In some cases, you may opt for a self-hosted blog (WordPress or Ghost) or you may be looking for a pre-monetized blogging platform like Medium, Vocal, or HubPages. However, these are just some of the options for writers looking for the best blogging platforms to make money.
In 2022, blogging has continued to evolve and with that evolution has come a change in what is considered a blogging platform. In addition to the aforementioned platforms, bloggers can now choose to post their content on microblogging sites with newly implemented paid features (Twitter or Tumblr).
They can also explore hybrid blogging sites, which give writers tools beyond blogging (such as the newsletter offered by Substack).
With all of these blogging platforms available, it can be difficult to determine which blogging platform is best for you. This article will specifically look at the best blogging platforms to make money on.
WordPress is one of the most popular open source platforms in the world. It is commonly used as a content management system (CMS) for websites and blogs. The beauty of WordPress is that no technical knowledge or experience is required to use it. WordPress is used by bloggers, small business owners, and even Fortune 500 companies.
- It powers 40% of all websites on the Internet.
- It offers multiple ways to monetize content.
- Bloggers own and control 100% of their content.
Ghost is an open-source blogging platform for writers and journalists. It has a minimalistic and simple user interface that makes blogging easy for its users. Ghost offers SEO tools and plugins built into the software, making it easy for users to optimize content.
The Ghost platform is used by amateur bloggers as well as experienced editors from major media organizations.
- It provides bloggers with a wide range of publishing tools.
- Charge a flat monthly fee, regardless of income.
- You own and control 100% of your content
Medium is one of the most popular blogging and digital publishing platforms on the internet. It allows anyone to easily create and publish a blog post, with a sleek, minimalist design. Medium is popular with writers due to its Partner Program, which allows writers to get paid for articles published on the platform.
- It provides an extremely low barrier to entry for bloggers.
- It has a built-in monetization system which is great for new writers.
- High Domain Authority (DA) helps articles rank in Google search results.
Substack makes it easy for a writer to start an email newsletter that makes money from subscriptions. Substack provides web publishing tools and newsletters built specifically for paid subscriptions.
Substack is popular with many writers because it is an all-in-one solution for writers looking to monetize their newsletter. Substack also allows audio creators to upload and distribute their podcasts through Substack’s newsletter delivery system.
- It offers bloggers a hybrid newsletter publishing platform.
- Handles the logistical issues associated with running your own newsletter.
- Publishing is free, and Substack only receives a portion of the revenue from paid subscribers (and enabling monetization is optional).
Vocal.Media is a platform to support, discover and reward creators. Vocal provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, artists, and all kinds of creatives to discover and fund their creativity.
Vocal is designed to expand audiences for content syndication and promote writers’ efforts to monetize their content through various features.
- Clear payment structure for bloggers.
- Built-in monetization program.
- It offers a free and premium version of its platform.
HubPages is a user-generated content revenue-sharing website founded in 2006. The company switched from a one-site business model to a multi-site model in 2016. The platform allows you to post articles and earn money from those items. , depending on how many views they get.
HubPages Writer’s payment system is based on a formula that primarily measures page views and your article’s contribution to the success of display ads.
- A free blogging platform.
- Integrated monetization system for bloggers.
- It has a very established audience.
When it comes to choosing the best blogging platform to make money, writers are spoiled for choice. However, if you choose a blogging platform from the list above, your chances of monetizing your writing online will increase significantly.
If you’re interested in becoming a successful blogger, consider taking our medium writing course or our substack newsletter course. You can also sign up for our newsletter, Blogging Guide, which contains digital publishing information on all of the platforms listed above and more!