Is the landscape a better image format than a square image? Or should you choose a vertical image? Get answers to all your questions in this quick and comprehensive guide to recommended image sizes on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Tik Tok.
You don’t need to be told how important your social media images are.
In fact, a recent survey found that 36% of marketers plan to spend more than a third of their budget on visual content alone. The volume and quality of social media images your brand needs to compete with also continue to increase in 2020.
That’s why we’ve put together the latest and most up-to-date social media image sizes in this handy guide.
Below, we’ll list the best image sizes for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, and Tik Tok.
So here are the optimal image size to create graphics for social media sites in 2020:
Even as the world’s most popular network, Facebook has been becoming more and more visual in character, and increasingly focused on mobile devices.
However, it is still a “social” social network, so it is recommended that professional users avoid excessive marketing or the generation of products with images.
Instead, try to convey the human side of your brand, and like all networks here, use the best resolution possible and shoot to get the best dimensions for Facebook posts.
Recommended Facebook image sizes for 2020:
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 820 x 462
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1080
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Facebook video length: 240 minutes
- Facebook ad size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1280 x 720
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
- Facebook group cover image size: 1640 x 922
- Facebook messenger image ad size: 1200 x 628
Pro tip: Public attention span is extremely low in social terms, so try to keep Facebook videos as short as possible. Although the maximum length of the video is 240 minutes, Facebook recommends keeping them in just 15 seconds.
A visual network from the start, Instagram is where marketers can surrender to their interior photographer and filmmaker. Lately, Instagram Stories is attracting all the attention, but you can still easily win eyes with static images – one tip here is to use filters.
Be sure to use all three available orientations (square, landscape, and portrait) and compose your photos accordingly. However, keep in mind that this variety also makes it crucial to use the correct dimensions of Instagram posts.
Recommended Instagram image sizes for 2020:
- Instagram profile picture size: 110 x 110
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Minimum Instagram video sizes: 600 x 600 (square), 600 x 315 (landscape), 600 x 750 (portrait), 600 x 700 (Carousel video dimensions)
- Maximum Instagram video length: 60 seconds
- Minimum Instagram image ad size: 500 pixels wide
- Instagram photo thumbnails: 161 x 161
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 566 pixels (landscape), 1080 x 1080 pixels (square)
- Instagram IGTV video size: 1080 x 1920
We recommend using square and vertical formats when posting to Facebook and Instagram (organic and paid). Why? Because this maximizes the space it occupies in the sources, since most people use the phone to navigate these channels.
Gone are the days when your expressive comments were enough to make you notice on Twitter. Image tweets are retweeted 150% more than those without. Here you need stunning images to stand out in a fast-moving news feed. Easy-to-read but information-packed infographics are one of the visual tactics that brands can use to increase engagement.
Recommended Twitter image sizes for 2020:
- Twitter profile picture size: 400 x 400
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1024 x 512
- Twitter card image size: 1200 x 628
- Twitter video size: 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
- Maximum Twitter video length: 140 seconds
- Twitter ad size (image): 800 x 428
- Twitter ad size (video): 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
Many companies make the mistake that LinkedIn is the boring professional network, where their profiles don’t need the wow factor of others. While it is true that brand loyalty and clarity are the most important elements here, a wonderfully transformed LinkedIn profile is a valuable asset and business card for your brand.
Look for polished images with the highest resolution. If recruiting is a goal, use the space in your image to show the best side of your company.
Recommended LinkedIn image sizes for 2020:
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1536 x 768
- LinkedIn Dynamic Ads size: 100 x 100 (company logo)
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Hero image size: 1128 x 376
- LinkedIn Business Banner image: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn background photo size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn post image size: 1200 x 1200 (desktop) 1200 x 628 (mobile)
- LinkedIn link post size: 1200 x 628
- LinkedIn video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum LinkedIn video length: 10 minutes
Since 2019, YouTube has been the second most popular social media channel for companies to share video content. Marketing specialists must meet the video requirements to perform well on this channel now, more than ever. While video resolution and length are very (extremely) important, you should also pay attention to small details, such as the size of your profile picture, channel cover, etc., to capture the attention of the public in the time they go to your YouTube page.
Recommended YouTube image sizes for 2020:
- YouTube Channel cover picture: 2560 x 1440 pixels (desktop) and 1546 x 423 pixels (smartphones)
- YouTube Display ads: 300 x 250
- YouTube Overlay ads: 480 x 60
- YouTube Companion banner ads: 300 x 250 pixels
- YouTube Skippable video ads length: 6 – 20 seconds
- YouTube Non-skippable video ads length: 12 seconds to 3 minutes (30 seconds is recommended)
- YouTube Bumper video ads length: 6 seconds
- YouTube Standard video: 1280 x 760 pixels
Pinterest is about images. Around 250 million people use Pinterest each month to discover trends and find inspiration. When it comes to Pinterest images, you should think about verticals, as this format was designed to fit tall images rather than large ones.
Recommended Pinterest Image Sizes for 2020:
- Pinterest Profile picture: 165 x 165
- Pinterest Board Display image: 222 x 150
- Pinterest Standard Pin size: Vertical images 1000 x 1500
- Pinterest Video specs: square (1:1) or vertical (2:3, 9:16) Length: Minimum 4 seconds, maximum 15 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted Video: square (1:1) or widescreen (16:9) Length: Minimum 4 seconds, maximum 15 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted carousels: 2-5 images per carousel, aspect ratio: 1:1 or 2:3
Tik Tok is the latest video sharing app that people are looking for. Not just people, brands also joined the movement to attract and reach a new audience. While there aren’t many options or formats for uploading videos to Tik Tok, brands should know the basics before trying the app.
Recommended Tik Tok image sizes for 2020:
- Tik Tok Video length: 1080 x 1920, maximum 15 seconds recommended.
- Tik Tok Profile photo 200 x 200